When updating the firmware on the SPARK MAX, it is possible for the process to be interrupted or for the firmware to be corrupted by a bad download. In this state, the Status LED will be dark and the SPARK MAX will fail to operate. SPARK MAX has a built-in recovery mode that can force it to accept new firmware even if the controller seems to be bricked. The following procedure requires a small tool, like a straightened paper clip, to press the Mode Button, a USB C cable, and a computer with the REV Hardware Client installed:
- With the SPARK MAX powered off completely, press and hold the Mode Button.
- While still holding the Mode Button, connect the SPARK MAX to the computer using the USB cable. The Status LED will not illuminate, this is expected.
- Wait a few seconds for the computer to recognize the connected device, then release the Mode Button.
- Open the REV Hardware Client. The SPARK MAX will remain dark and it will not connect to the Client, this is expected.
- Select the SPARK MAX in Recovery Mode from the REV Hardware Client
- Press the Update Button
- Wait for the Firmware Update to complete
- Once completed the SPARK MAX will disconnect then reconnect to the REV Hardware Client. Select the SPARK MAX to start the configuration process
Last modified 1yr ago