1) With the NEO motor sitting shaft upwards on a flat surface, position the Top Plate upside down on the motor boss- the small raised circle on the center of the motor. Align the motor holes for your preferred configuration, either left hand or right hand.
CAD examples of those options can be found here: NEO Orientation
2) Install the Through Bore Encoder on the motor shaft, lined up with the correct holes in the motor body for your preferred configuration. Ensure that the motor shaft is perfectly centered in the hex bore of the encoder. Fasten the encoder and motor together using two 1/2in 10-32 button head screws.
4) Align the Encoder Bridge’s clearance notch with the key in the motor shaft and insert the Encoder Bridge into the encoder.
Ensure that the notch in the key rests slightly above the lip of the encoder bridge, as shown in the cross-section to the right.
If the notch is not above the lip and falls into the slot, the module will NOT function properly and may get damaged.
5) Install the appropriate motor pinion for the preferred speed option (low, mid, or high) onto the motor shaft, with the pinion boss facing away from the motor.
Set Top Plate subassembly aside.
Steering Gear Subassembly
1) Install the Steering Pinion bearing into the top of the Bottom Plate.
2) Insert the main steering bearing into the Bottom Plate.
3) Install six screws into the Bottom Plate to hold the main bearing in place. Set aside the Bottom Plate.
4) Take Steering Gear and insert the main Bevel Pinion bearing into the bottom side of the Steering Gear.
5) Insert Steering Gear into Bottom Plate.
6) Insert motor shaft bearing into the top of the Steering Gear.
7) Flip the Bottom Plate over and insert the Bevel Pinion into the Bevel Pinion bearing.
8) Flip Bottom Plate back over and put Drive Spur Gear onto Bevel Pinion shaft.
Fasten the Drive Spur Gear in place with one 3/8in 10-32 button head screw.
Active Fork Subassembly
1) Install the two Bevel Pinion end bearings into the Active Fork.
Set the Active Fork aside.
UltraPlanetary Block Subassembly
1) Install one of the two Steering Pinion bearings into the UltraPlanetary Block.
2) Install the Steering Pinion into the UltraPlanetary Block.
Set the UltraPlanetary Block aside.
The Steering UltraPlanetary Subassembly is dependent on which orientation (left hand or right hand) was chosen during Top Plate Subassembly.
1) Install the UltraPlanetary 550 Motor Pinion onto the NEO 550.
See our documentation on the NEO 550 Product Page for more information about pressing pinions onto NEO 550s and using NEO 550s with UltraPlanetary Gearboxes.
2) Install the UltraPlanetary Motor Plate on the NEO 550 with two 8mm M3 button head screws. Ensure that you orient the motor based on the configuration chosen.
CAD examples of those NEO 550 orientations can be found here: NEO 550 Orientation Options
3) Stack the 4:1 UltraPlanetary Cartridge onto the UltraPlanetary Motor Plate, followed by the 3:1 Cartridge, and the UltraPlanetary Block (with steering pinion). Ensure that these components are oriented to allow alignment features to interlock, and that they provide the correct wire orientation for your configuration.
CAD examples of those wire configurations can be found here: NEO 550 Orientation Options
Ensure that the pinion is fully engaged with the UltraPlanetary Cartridge output spline and fully inserted into the bearing in the UltraPlanetary Block.
5) Install and tighten the two 25mm M3 socket head screws into the notched side of the UltraPlanetary Block, through the UltraPlanetary stack, and into the UltraPlanetary Motor Plate.
Take care not to over-tighten the gearbox housing screws. Hand tight is enough to keep the gearbox assembled.
If you forgot to apply Loctite during the assembly of the UltraPlanetary Subassembly you can use a Wicking Grade Loctite to apply thread locker to the pre-assembled gearbox.
1) Insert the Active Fork Subassembly into the pocket on the bottom side of the Steering Gear. Ensure that the Bevel Pinion is inserted properly into the end bearings in the Active Fork.
2) Fasten the Active Fork in place with two 1in 10-32 socket head screws. Leave these screws slightly loose.
3) Insert the Passive Fork into the Steering Gear opposite from the Active Fork. Fasten the Passive Fork in place with two 1in 10-32 socket head screws. Leave these screws slightly loose.
MAXSwerve Wheel and Axle Subassembly
Some 3in MAXSwerve Module Wheel Axles may not be a slip fit. Please see our MAXSwerve Assembly Tips section for a solution: Wheel Axle - Tight Fit
1) Insert the Wheel Hub into the MAXSwerve Wheel. Take care to align the holes in the wheel and the hub.
2) Insert the Wheel Bevel Gear into the opposite side of the wheel. Take care to align the holes in the wheel and the gear.
3) Fasten the Wheel Hub and Wheel Bevel Gear to the MAXSwerve Wheel with six 1in long 10-32 button head screws. These screws are inserted through the Wheel Hub side and are threaded into the Wheel Bevel Gear.
4) Insert the two wheel bearings into either side of the MAXSwerve Wheel Assembly. One bearing should go into the Wheel Bevel Gear, and one bearing should go into the Wheel Hub.
5) Insert the Wheel Axle through the wheel bearings.
If you struggle to put the Wheel Axle through the bearings, it may be easier to put a bearing on one side of the Axle, and then "sandwich" other the bearing onto the Axle and into the Wheel.
6) Place the two wheel spacers onto the Wheel Axle, one on either side of the MAXSwerve Wheel.
MAXSwerve Wheel Installation
1) Insert the MAXSwerve Wheel Subassembly between the two forks with the Wheel Bevel Gear engaged with the Bevel Pinion.
2) Insert a 2in 10-32 socket head screw through the Passive Fork, through the Wheel Axle, and thread it into the Active Fork. Leave this screw slightly loose.
3) Tighten the four screws holding the forks in (see the orange arrow), and tighten the Wheel Axle screw.
Do not overtighten these screws.
Steering Drive Installation
1) Install the UltraPlanetary stack on the top of the Bottom Plate. The end of the Steering Pinion should be inserted into the Steering Pinion bearing.
2) Apply a small amount of thread-locking compound (we recommend "Blue" Loctite 243) to the ends of the four 60mm M3 socket head screws.
3) Install and tighten the four 60mm M3 socket head screws through the Bottom Plate, through the UltraPlanetary stack, and into the UltraPlanetary Motor Plate.
Take care not to overtighten the screws.
4) Spin the fork and wheel assembly by hand to check that it moves freely. It should move easily, with some inertia, in both directions. The torque required to spin it should be uniform through an entire rotation.
If significant resistance is felt, check that the leads from the NEO 550 aren't touching each other, as this can produce an artificial braking effect.
Top & Bottom Plate Mating
1) Set the Top Plate Subassembly upside down on a flat surface.
2) Place the three structural standoffs into their respective pockets in the inverted Top Plate.
3) Retrieve the Bottom Plate Subassembly. Place it upside down, and drop three 2in long 10-32 socket head screws into the appropriate holes in the bottom plate.
4) Carefully lower the Bottom Plate Subassembly down on top of the inverted Top Plate Subassembly. Ensure that the screws line up with (and slide inside) the structural standoffs.
It may be necessary to rotate the MAXSwerve Wheel Subassembly to properly line up the four holes in the Steering Gear with the four pegs on the Encoder Bridge.
5) Insert three Nylock Nuts into the pockets on the Top Plate, and thread the 2in socket head screws into them. Tighten down the screws.
6) Test spin the module by hand, both rolling the wheel and rotating the steering. It should move easily, with some inertia, in both directions. The torque required to spin it should be uniform through an entire rotation.
Once you assemble your MAXSwerve Modules onto your Drivetrain, check out the following sections for help to start moving!